What are the findings from the liver function test?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
October Reports:- Bilirubin 0.7 Direct. 0.1. Totat protein 8.9 Albumin 4.8. Globulin 4.1 Albumin ratio 1.2. Alt. 115. Ast. 61. Ggt. 356. Alkaline phos. 147. Present Report:- Total Protein:-8.90 Bilirubin Direct:-.21 AST:-53 ALT:-102 ALP:-139 GGT:-328 All other parameters in normal range. I do take alcohol 3-4 time a week. Presently I have itching on my chest and little dry hands. Is there any imporvement?? Bilirubin shows elevation presently was does that indicate? Any signs of something serious like Chirosis? What steps should be taken?Should I meet a doctor immidiately? Please let me know the cause for this condition.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medications,diet and execise are curative Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. The LFT reports described by you are not grossly abnormal but are not fully normal as well. You have been diagnosed as suffering from fatty liver. this condition has a number of causes. These range from a strict vegetarian diet to medications to alcohol. If untreated it can progress to cirrhosis. The diagnosis of cirrhosis requires ultrasound , biopsy and biochemical evidence confirmed in advanced cases by endoscopy.Your ultrasound does not describe of coarse echo texture which is suggestive of cirrhosis. In your case I would suggest the following measures 1. Dietary modifications. High protein,low fat,low carbohydrate diet. 2. Regular exercise .(best would be awalk for 40 minutes) 3. Plenty of water. 4. Stop alcohol consumption immediately not even beer. 5. Medications; a. sorbitol+tricholine citrate combination (2tablespoons with a glass of warm water in the morning on empty stomach once a day for 6 full months) b. ornithine compounds (1-1-1) after meals for 6 weeks. I am sure these measures will help you. Repeat ultrasound and liver function tests after 6 months. I hope this answers your doubts. regards
Follow-up: What are the findings from the liver function test? 19 minutes later
From quite sometime I decreased my alcohol intake but after theses reports I will stop it completely. Is there any matter of concern presently as in something of serious sort?Actually I was trying of analyze my results and found that it was indicating towars Primary billary cirrhosis.Actually I want to be sure that something serious of this sort is not there and the the points you suggested are enough to treat me and make things normal. Do I need a ultasound again right now??I was done in october. How much time it takes for the enzyme level to settle down? Any more information required from my side to help you in evaluating things better??
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry at present. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Your reports at this point of time do not suggest anything serious. Fatty liver is a fully reversible disease. You do not need to undergo any investigations presently. The LFT reports do not suggest any synthetic defect. The time required to achieve normalcy is variable ranging from 6 weeks to 6 months. I hope that answers your doubts. Regards
Follow-up: What are the findings from the liver function test? 14 minutes later
Actually I am very worried that's why coming up with so many queries. I would aslo like you to know that I have kind of reddish plam..I searched on internet and it points to severe disease. I have attached the picture. There is also itching on my chest. All these things makes me really very worried.
Brief Answer: Appearnce within normal limits Detailed Answer: Hi, From the pictures which you have sent it appears to be within normal limits. Start the treatment advised and then let me know how you feel. Regards