What are the findings from the SGPT and SGOT levels?

Question SGPT level is 78, SGOT - 47 & GGT 74. Kindly advise.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Additional detailed information required Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. The information provided is too sketchy to form an opinion. Please intimate Bilirubin level; about your alcohol intake (if any); past history of jaundice (if any); are you on any medications; current problems and medical history. From the values provided, SGPT is slightly elevated with SGOT being normal and, a raised GGT. This incomplete report points towards either, a mild inflammation of liver or pancreas; consequence of chronic alcohol intake; drug-induced; gall-bladder stones; or, alcohol-induced liver disease. I would be able to give you further opinion on receiving additional information from you. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What are the findings from the SGPT and SGOT levels? 1 hour later
Yes i have drink beer on daily. As such i don't have any physical problem.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have early stage of alcoholic liver disease Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Nice hearing back from you. The alcohol content in beer, is between 6-12% depending on the brand. I would therefore, strongly recommend that you cut down on your beer (you can have it occasionally). The mildly elevated enzymes are not of much concern at this stage, as they indicate mildly deranged liver functions, apart from a very mild inflammation of the liver. As such, there are usually no significant physical problems associated with mildly deranged liver functions. Liver functions, along with liver enzymes values will revert back to normal range, within a few months AFTER stopping beer. In addition, take a balance diet (Low fat, high protein diet); daily physical exercises for at least 45 mins/day; plenty of water daily. Take care, Dr. (Col) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What are the findings from the SGPT and SGOT levels? 3 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. Rakesh!!! XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: My pleasure Detailed Answer: You are most welcome, Mr. XXXXXXX You are free to ask me further queries, if any, in future. Take care Dr. Rakesh Karanwal