What are skin side effects, treatments & contraindications of sclereoderma?

What are skin side effects for someone with sclereoderma? Also treatments and contraindications of this?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 12 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease involving connective tissue featuring skin thickening, that can involve scarring, blood vessel problems, varying degrees of inflammation, and is associated with an overactive immune system.

Scleroderma affects the skin to cause local or widespread signs of inflammation like redness, swelling, tenderness, itching, and pain. All this can lead to skin tightness or hardening.

These skin changes can be widespread, but it's most common for them to affect the fingers, feet, face, and neck. This can lead to decreased range of motion of the fingers, toes, and jaw. Even calcification in the skin can occur may present as hard nodule.

Treatment of scleroderma is directed toward the individual features affecting different areas of the body. When blood vessels are involved increase in BP and may have adverse effect on kidney then ACE inhibitors are prescribed. To decrease inflammation, anti inflammatory drugs are used. Irritated, itchy dry skin can be helped by emollients are used.

As such there is no direct cure for scleroderma. Treatment depends on severity; even the chelating agents and immunosuppressive agents are given.

Contraindication to treatment depends on the drug given and any associated diseases from which you are suffering. It will be nice if you mention your past history of disease and also the drug history.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.