What are risks involved with dividing 20mg cialis pill in half?

Oncologist
Question
What are risks involved with dividing a 20mg cialis pill in half ?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Common practice.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the question.

This is a very common practice. Most of the time this is done in order to lower the average cost per dose as this medication is very expensive for the average patient.

Regarding risk I think the main concern is that if the integrity of the tablet is disturbed with cutting that the time release formulation may be compromised.

This again is a very common practice so I think most of the time the practice of dividing the tablet is still very well tolerated and the therapeutic effect of the medication is still realized.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: What are risks involved with dividing 20mg cialis pill in half? 8 hours later
Just to be sure - I know Viagra pills have been split forever. I'm asking about splitting Cialis. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Confirmation.

Detailed Answer:

Many patients do split the Cialis with no problem. every patient is unique in the sense of how a medication might affect the body so it is didficult to predict how a full uncut tablet will work compared to half of a higher dose tablet. this may be a trial and error process.

in general this is done very frequently. please discuss this with your doctor who can direct you in how exactly you should take this medication.