What are my options if I have contracted Streptococcus anginosus? Had itchy ears, increased BP, ear ringing, labored breathing.

Nephrologist
Question
I contracted Streptococcus anginosus, what are my options? I work in Biomed and work on beds and many other pieces of equipment in the Hosp and clinics. I had itchie ears first but moved to kidny's so, I had a urinalysis and culture and they found the Strep. I am taking 100mg of Doxycyline, and have had increased blood pressure, ringing of ears, smelly urine, labored breathing joint pain, and fatigue. Neck pain and head ache.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to point out that you would have not contracted a the urinary tract infection. If you arr continuing to have ringing of ears then I advice you to XXXXXXX an ENT surgeon for it without delay to rule out a ear infection

Secondly Streptococcus anginosus is a very uncommon organism to grow in a urine culture.
The common organisms are
1. E Coli 2. Staphylococcus 3. Klebsiella 4. Proteus and 5. Pseudomonas.

All your other symptoms like smelly urine, fatigue and myalgia could be because of the urinary tract infection.

I would like to add here that the antibiotic chosen (doxy 100mg) is not the first line of treatment for streptococcus anginosus. Better option would have been to start on a penicillin group of drugs or a macrolide. For eg Amox with clavulanic acid with azithromycin, please seek a second opinion or a review regarding the same. Please do not stop the treatment given to you.

I would also advice you to do the following

1. Drink plenty of water. (you have mentioned that your kidneys were affected, please find out from your doctor what the maximum limit of water intake you can take per day)
2. Drinking Cranberry juice will help reduce the smell of urine and also help in faster recovery
3. Complete your course of antibiotic without fail

I could have helped you better if you had attached your blood reports and also told me the reading of your blood pressure. You have the option of attaching reports in the lower column. Please do so in your follow up query. If you have no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: What are my options if I have contracted Streptococcus anginosus? Had itchy ears, increased BP, ear ringing, labored breathing. 1 hour later
Tey did not do blood work, as this was a clinic. My blood pressure was running 155 over 110 before I increased my medication to compensate. I am at home waiting for a call back from the clinic on further action if needed. I fear that I contracted this from working on the Hospital beds at the Hospital.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Hello

Thanks for replying

It could be possible that you have contracted this infection from the hospital. Your blood pressure of 155/110 though not alarming certainly requires further dosage changes of your current blood pressure medications. Please do not increase the dose on your own as you might land up over correcting your blood pressure. I am happy that your clinic is helping you out in this regard/

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there no further queries

I wish you good health

Follow-up: What are my options if I have contracted Streptococcus anginosus? Had itchy ears, increased BP, ear ringing, labored breathing. 48 hours later
The clinic changed my antibiotic after reading culture. 500mg Levaquin, is this the medicine for this bacteria group?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later
Hello

Thanks for replying

Tab levoquin contains levoflaxacin, which is a fluroquinalone class of antibiotic and is used commonly in treating both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Please complete the course of this antibiotic it will certainly help you get relieved of all your symptoms and also use the advise given by me in my first post.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health