What to do to avoid Septicemia after leg amputation due to Flesh eating disease?

I have had Flesh Eating Disease about 3 1/2 yrs. ago, as a result the Doctors had to amputate my left leg above the knee to save my life! Since I have been in the Hospital 3 times with Septicemia. What can I do to keep this from happening againÉ I also get RLS (restless leg syndrome) after supper or late afternoon. It gets so bad I feel like throwing up......what can I take that will help alleviate this problem
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Avoid infection from Group A streptococcus Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query with diligence and I am sorry for you losing limb. You were mentioning about Nectrotising fascitis which occurs through infection and spread of Group A Strep bacteria (Pyogenes Spp). The most effective and best way to prevent this happening again is preventing the infection. Since this bacteria spread through respiratory droplets while when sneezes or coughs you should prevent or stay away at least by 10 mts from them. The other way is through cut skin and abrasions. This bacteria multiplies quickly and destroy skin and soft tissues, including the fascia, the fibres below the skin that surrounds muscle. washing your hands thoroughly Steer people away who have sorethroat Immediately clean any wound or cut with hot water and soap RLS (Restless leg syndrome) should be first diagnosed correctly by the physician. If it is confirmed then antianxiety medicines like xanax help. Please come up with any more inquires that you may have.
Follow-up: What to do to avoid Septicemia after leg amputation due to Flesh eating disease? 4 hours later
Thank you for answering my questions so promptly. For the RLS my daughter also has this and it was recommended that she take Calcium with you think this would help, or is there something else you would recommend.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Potassium supplements and stress reduction Detailed Answer: Yes you can take Calcium and magnesium if they are low. But let me tell you that vitamins or multiminerals have not proven any extra benefit if the levels in the body are normal. The actual reason for RLS had to be found. Stress reduction is key. IT can be any kind of physical or mental stress. Potassium supplementations benefits in some in the form of banana and oranges.