Weight loss due to allergy to Flagyn. Safe to take Periactin? Have normal test results, good appetite

Dec 2012

Do you think periactin is good for one who has lost 20 lbs by being allergic to th drug flagyn? I have been prescribed it 3 times and have lost 8 to 10 lbs. every time and have been unable to gain any of it back. I have gone from 118 from years back to 97 0r 98? This has been over a period of nearly 4 years My appetite is good and I try to eat a very healthy diet plus have drunk a bottle of Boost plus every day. I am 87 years old and in extremely good health. Every time I have the entire battery of yearly or semi-yearly lab work, it is all in "normal range XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

thanks for posting,

According to the manufacturers, Periactin (cyproheptadine) should be avoided to the elderly debilitated patients ( and I believe that at 87 normally you should be considered as elderly). It is a drug that also comes with digestive side effects and for some who wishes to regain some weight, it will not be properly indicated.
I suggest, you consult first with your doctor again before you can be placed on that medication. I think if you feel you are healthy, then it is a good thing for you and all unnecessary medications should be kept aside unless of course they are necessary.

Hope this helps and wish you a better health.