Was pregnant. Bleeding from three weeks. Took medicine and lot of blood has come out. Planning to do ultrasound. What could this be?

Hi, I didn't know I was pregnant and started bleeding one week after my period ended. I have been bleeding for 3 weeks now. I went to the doctor and he told me that I am having an on going miscarriage. He did a blood test which showed I was pregnant. But if I was having a miscarriage, how did he know that?
He gave me some pills and a lot of blood and blood clots came out last night. Is it over now? How can I be sure?
I am getting an ultrasound done today to see if there is anything left. I don't know what he meant by that.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
The test that your doctor did,was to measure beta hcg hormone in your body. This hormone is only present during pregnancy. Thats how he knew that you were pregnant. Since your started bleeding while having beta hcg in your system,its seems that you had a miscarriage. 3 weeks was a long time to bleed and the medicines that your doctor gave helped in removing the clots. You may still have some light bleeding for a few days until the last of the pregnancy is gone. The ultrasound will help to see whether the abortion was complete. Ideally, the usg should be done at least 2 weeks after you take the medicines.