Was licked by dog in the mouth. Is concerned about rabies. Suggest?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My dog licked me in the mouth and I am concerned I may have gotten rabies. According to my parents, last night somewhere between 8PM and 10:30 PM my dog caught a bat and then licked me in the mouth and now I am worried that he may have trnsmitted rabies to me. He is vaccinated and is not due for his nesxt booster until mid July. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later

Please provide some more information to help me answer this better.
Have you measured the antibody level in dog?
What was his immunization schedule?
Have you ever immunized with rabies? If yes, which schedule?

Follow-up: Was licked by dog in the mouth. Is concerned about rabies. Suggest? 32 minutes later
I have not measured the antibody level in the dog. His next booster is July 18th of this year and I have never been immunized with rabies
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 37 hours later
Welcome back.
I understand your concern.
If the bat is rabied, there is chances of acquiring it via your dog.
Full immunization against rabies may not provide full protection in case of animals and as such yours is yet to get the booster.
Consult your physician regarding your rabies vaccination. It is always safer to overtreat rabies.
In the mean time also see a veterinarian and discuss about dog as he may become a potential source of rabies now.
Hope it is clear.
Ask me if you want too know more.