Wanted to take Norethisterone to delay periods. Prescribed Micronor of very low dose. Will it be effective?

Hi there, I asked my doctor to prescribe Norethisterone in order to delay my period. She prescribed the contraceptive Micronor. Apparently a 3 times a day dosage of 5mg is needed to delay a period, whereas Micronor pills are only 0.35mg. Will they still work, or is there anything I can do?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help you.... Detailed Answer: Something is confused about the doses that you are listing. Different progesterones come in different doses. The progesterone called Provera can be prescribed in 5mg doses, but not micronor. Also, to take 5mg 3 times a day would likely be associated with some pretty signicant side effects. Your ability to delay your period will depend to some extent on where you are in your current cycle. If you can give me more detail, maybe I can help: 1. What was the first day of your last period? 2. Are your cycles regular? 3. Over what specific days are you trying to avoid your period? I hope that this helps and good luck!