Want second opinion on colonoscopy report and CT scan report

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I want second opinion on colonoscopy report and CT scan report of my Mother aged 65 yrs.After i get instruction i will send them.
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Considering the age of the patient it is always better to rule out anything before going for a definitive surgery

I would be in a better position if a biopsy report is also available

Hope this clears
Do write back with reports
Wishing your mother a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Want second opinion on colonoscopy report and CT scan report 14 hours later
Sir,
I have subitted Biopsy report, Colonoscopy report and CEA Blood examination report. Your kind observation of these reports and consequent opinion is solicited. for this I shall grateful to you forever.
With regards,
XXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in again

Having gone through the reports of your mother I feel a surgery would be of help and chemotherapy depends on the final histopathology reports

With adenocarcinoma grade II five year survivals are good so I would suggest you go ahead with surgery and get back to me wtih the final histopathology report from which we would ascertain the need of chemotherapy

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Follow-up: Want second opinion on colonoscopy report and CT scan report 14 days later
Doc Sir,
I have uploaded post surgical histo-pathological reports of my mother. There are three pages. Report of Sen Lal path lab is in two pages which especially require your attention. Another report (sample was sent to two labs) is also submitted. Please have a kind look at reports and give your advice.
With regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later
Hi

It is surprising that there is a contradiction in the two histopathology reports

Get a fresh CEA report done to see the progress of the disease

Dr Lal's report is comparable to the report after colonoscopic biopsy

Now that a contradiction has occured it would be better if you get the slides reviewed at Tata Memorial Hospital Mumbai from Dr XXXXXXX Borges

Hope this helps

Doc Sir,
The Surgeon has told us that affected portion out of colon portion removed during surgery was sent to to Dr. Lal's lab and rest portion of colon which seemed healthy was sent to another lab. So, please comment on Dr. Lal's report.
With regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

If both the specimen's are different

The specimen sent to Dr Lal's lab is an adenocarcinoma which is well differentitated and has not spread to the surrounding tissue

The margins are free of tumor and the lymphnodes are negative for permeation

This is a relatively good report so go ahead with what your surgeon advises as in these type of cases it tis the surgeon who has operated knows the condition of the other organs and the status of gross pathology, so he should be the final authority for postoperative care

Hope this helps
Wishing your mother a speedy recovery