Using systane preservative free drops for dry eye. Accidentally touched eye with drop vial. Worrisome

Question
Hello, I have dry eyes and just put systane preservative free drops in my eye I accidentally touched the white of my eye with the eye drop vial. It hurt a little. Could this cause damage?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 9 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

No. There can be no harm to the eye by just touching the sclera (the white part) with the nozzle of the medicine.

It may cause some stinging discomfort for a while.

Do not worry or rub eyes. It will disappear.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck! Thank you!!

Follow-up: Using systane preservative free drops for dry eye. Accidentally touched eye with drop vial. Worrisome 6 minutes later
Thankyou! Just to be clear it was a small disposable plastic vial and the tip was jagged and sharp.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 minutes later
I think there can not be much danger, as you generally reflexly stop your hand or blink, limiting any deeper prick.

At the most, there could be some redness around the touched point.

Do not worry.

Thankyou!!

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 14 minutes later
Welcome. Take care!!