What are the tips to avoid redness and irritation in eyes due to long computer exposure?

My eyes have become red, and by the end of the day i feel irritation in my eyes.I use computer for more than 5 hrs per day Please advice any medicine and tip maintain good eye.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is computer vision syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having redness and irritation of eyes by the end of the day and you use computer for 5 hours a day. This is a common symptom seen in people who use computer for long hours and it is called as Computer vision syndrome. Computer vision syndrome is because of dryness of eyes as a result of viewing the computer for long hours. The treatment is by using artificial tear eye drops 3 to 4 times a day to prevent dryness of eyes. Along with medical treatment by artificial tears, the precautions you have to take are Frequent blinking of eyes while using computer Avoid using computer for long hours at a stretch, take at least a break of 2-3 minutes after working for one continuous hour Avoid using air conditioner if possible Avoid using fan directed directly towards the eye, if using a fan make sure that the direction of fan is not directly directed into the eyes Adjust the position of the computer screen so that your eyes level are above the computer screen Do follow the above preventive measures I have mentioned above and use artificial tear eye drops. You will be fine by 1-2 weeks. Hope I have answered your query. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K