Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showing leucocytes and pus cells. Treatment?

Infertility Specialist

Urine Routine

Leucocytes +
cells are seen, 5 - 8 /h.p.f. wbcs are seen, 8 - 10 /h.p.f.

color - light yellow
Turbidity - cloudy
PH - 6.5
SG -1.005
Protein, Glucose,Ketones,Bilirubin, Nitrete = Negative
Urobilinogen - not in excess
Blood - negative
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later

You seem to have urinary tract infection (UTI) as you have leucocytes & puscells are seen. But they are not very high in number. If you donot have symptoms like pain abdomen, burning while passing urine need to worry as generally body defence mechanism takes care of the infection and it will be resolved. It is called "Asymptomatic bacteriuria". You can repeat the test after 15 days to see if WBC & Pus cells have comedown.

In any case it is worth getting an urine culture and sensitivity done so that a concrete decision can be taken by your treating doctor.

Other values in your urine seem to be fine and within normal limits.

But if you have symptoms of pain or burning during urination, you need to be treated as follows:

1) Give the urine for culture & sensitivity test: organism causing urinary tract infection can be isolated, by culture and sensitivity test determines which is effective antibiotic and you can be prescribed appropriate antibiotic.

2) If you have burning during urination, urine alkylating syrup can be prescribed by your gynecologist.

I hope I answered your queries. If no more queries, please accept my answer.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol