Unprotected sex, took i-pill but after the recommended hours. Will it be effective to prevent pregnancy?

Question

I am married and has a kid of age 2. I had my last meriod on 8th March 2012.I had an intercourse with my husband on 19th March evening . Since got a small doubt on getting pregnant i took iPill. But it was taken at around the 74th hour. But in the note along with the pill it is suggested to have it within 72 hours. Please advice whether the Ipill taken 2 hours late than the recommended time of 72 hours would be effective to prevent the pregnancy if at all anything happened?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

I can understand your concern for unwanted pregnancy. It is true that emergency contraceptive pills are effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sexual intercourse. Some studies show they are effective if taken after that time (up to 120 hours), but they are most effective in the first 72 hours. The effectiveness decreases after 72 hours but it is still better than taking no pills at all.

If you experience any symptoms of pregnancy then you should check the status of pregnancy. Pregnancy symptoms include absent or delayed period for more than 10 days along with morning sickness, vomiting, frequent urination, feeling tired, tenderness of breasts, light-headedness, feeling dizzy, getting irritated, and increase sensitivity to smell.
In such a case, you can test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, took i-pill but after the recommended hours. Will it be effective to prevent pregnancy? 2 days later
Thanks for the Reply.

Few more doubts to clarify.
Will there be any change during the time of ovulation if one is pregnant ? What all will be the after effects once the ipill is taken? How often can we take this pills?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back to me.

If you fall pregnant then ovulation does not occur. Ovulation occurs when a mature egg is released from the ovary, pushed down the fallopian tube, and is available to be fertilized. Once the egg has been fertilized then further release does not occur till the baby is delivered.

Side effects of emergency contraceptives like Ipill include nausea and vomitings. You might also get a headache, feel tired or dizzy, have some lower abdominal pain, or find your breasts are more tender than usual.

You can use the emergency pill as many times as you need to and more than once in any one menstrual cycle, but it shouldn't be used instead of regular contraception. Repeated use of the ECP may cause your menstrual cycle to change. You may have a shorter/longer cycle and have a heavier/lighter period than normal.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, took i-pill but after the recommended hours. Will it be effective to prevent pregnancy? 39 hours later
Thanks for the Reply Doctor.

Actually I used to have some discharge at the time of ovulation. But this time the discharge was comparitevely less. And I noticed it only after having the ipill. Is this discharge due to the medicine(ipill) intake or is it because my ovulation is happening. Since Doctor has mentioned that if pregnant , ovulation discharge won't be there, can I believe that pregnancy has not occured?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

The ovulation discharge could have been less due to the Ipill but sometimes there can be less discharge during ovulation also. It is very difficult to predict whether ovulation discharge which is mostly eggwhite like did not occur due to the contraceptive pill or not.

However to alleviate any doubts, you should get a serum HCG test done. HCG levels rise only during pregnancy and in a pregnant women its levels are more than 5mIU.