Unprotected sex. No ejaculation. On birth control but missed that day. Chances of being pregnant?

Question
I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend on Sunday 4/22/12 around 5pm. She has been taking birth control for 2 months. She told me that she forgot to take the pill sunday night, but she took a pill the night before. I did not ejaculate inside here, i pulled out. My question is, is the birth control hormone still active in her body even though she did not take the pill. (She did take a birth control pill on Monday). Does birth control only work for the day that she took it? How long does it take if she forgot to take a pill for the hormones to wear off? All im asking is what is the chances of her being pregnant? He last period was April 17th 2012. Is that her fertile period or not?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
The birth control pills act by inhibiting the ovulation by maintaining a high levels of female hormones in the body. Missing a single pill still protects your girlfriend against the pregnancy. It would have been better if she took two pills on monday.
These pills do act in a cyclic manner to avoid ovulation and not on a daily basis. So, a sustained levels of hormones are necessary.
Now she needs to continue taking the pills without missing any of them.
Also, since you pulled out before ejaculating, her chances of being pregnant are less than 1% even though she had sex during her fertile period.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. No ejaculation. On birth control but missed that day. Chances of being pregnant? 1 hour later
If she had her period on 4/17/12 and we had sex on 4/22/12, is that her fertile period. I was told by another doctor that it wasn't

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you had sex on 22nd April, then it is not the fertile period. If her last periods started on 17th April, then her fertile period will be from 26th April to 2nd May.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.