Type 2 diabetes, taking Glycomet, done lab test, lipid profile. Is my diabetes under control?

I am 61 year old female. I am 5ft 3in in height and weight is around 68 kgs.I am a diabetic - of type II since 5 years. I am taking Glycomet 250 mg twice a day. At regular intervals I am undergoing lab tests. Recently i have undergone lab test and the result is as under: HB A 1 c is 6.3. Mean blood glucose is 147.My fasting level is 123 and my post prandial is 138. The Lipid profile is as under: Serum cholestrol 150, Tryglycerides 186, HDL 44 , LDL 69 and VLDL is 37. My question is since the fasting level is always show above 115 in my case , is my diabetes is under control? What are the actual and correct levels for diabetics regarding the fasting and pp. How far the diabetics can have the levels which are considered to be normal. I am told there are4 different levels for non diabetics and for diabetics.Kindly advise whether i have to take any corrective steps if any..
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

In a diabetic patient under treatment, usually the goal of diabetes management is to strive to keep fasting blood sugars under 140 mg/dL and preferably closer to the 70 to 120 mg/dL range.

Your fasting blood glucose level of 115mg% indicates a good diabetic control.

Hemoglobin A1c levels in diabetics is considered as Normal: Less than 6.5 and Excellent diabetic control: 6.5-7.5. Your levels are normal.

Your lipid profile does indicate that you are hypercholesterolemic and treatment is needed.

You are already taking a statin drug . Doing some lifestyle changes will help you further like-
1. Reduce saturated fat intake.
2.     Maintain good body composition .
3.     Increase dietary fiber .
4.     Increase aerobic exercise .

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Type 2 diabetes, taking Glycomet, done lab test, lipid profile. Is my diabetes under control? 6 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply. I have one more question. My tryglycerides always on the high side. I have observed in many people, this tryglycerides are always on the high . Having tryglycerides higher levels in people is normal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

High levels of triglycerides do indicate hypercholesterolemia. It is not considered as normal.

If the levels are high then you must try to control these with the help of lifestyle modifications. They do need medicines to control the levels if they are too high.

Hope my answer is adequate and helpful.

Wishing you an early recovery.