Trying to quit smoking. Feeling shortness of breath and chest pain. What is going on?

Hi I smoke M . I am trying to stop. Lately I have had a pain in the center of my chest. And the last 4 days a bad shortness of breath. When I stand up to fast.
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

M contains cannabis which is frequently causes psychological dependence on it after long term use. The major psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

It is good that you had stopped M use.

If you stop M after long term use, you can develop some withdrawal symptoms in form of anxiety, restlessness, insomnia and decrease appetite.

Anxiety can lead to chest pain due to muscle pain (like we develop headache in tension), choking sensation and increase acid secretion (which may cause pain in epigastric and chest region). Short term (1-2 week) treatment of anxiety with long acting benzodiazepines and antacid will help you, which you can take after prescription from physician. Also take vitamin XXXXXXX diet like fruits and milk.

As your age is 54, so it is better to rule out cardiac illness also to be in safer side.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal