Trying to conceive. Having irregular period. How to calculate ovulation date?

Mar 2013
I am trying for a baby. But I am not able to calculate my ovulation date the problem is that my period date in very irregular i am capturing my period dates below:

Feb 2012 - 4th
March 2012- 9th
April 2012 - 7th
May 2012 - 12th XXXXXXX 2012 - 11th
July 2012- 14th
August 2012- 13th
Sept 2012 - 13th
Oct 2012 - 8th
Nov 2012- 16th
Dec 2012 - 17th XXXXXXX 2013- 11TH
FEB 2013 - 10TH
Please help me.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Thank you very much for your health query.
As you have written, your periods are varying by as much as 8 days sometimes, and hence relying on your menstrual cycles for predicting the day of ovulation is unreliable.
You should rely on certain better and surer methods of detecting ovulation.
THe best method would be to go for a follicular monitoring by ultrasound, which will keep track of development of your follicles and their rupture.
It is not practical to do this every cycle, so you can rely on Ovulation detection kits ( like I sure ) which can tell you when ovulation is likely to occur.
However, apart from ovulation, you need to consider certain other factors also.
Your partner's semen analysis should be within normal limits.
Your basic hormonal profile should be checked.
Also, after one abortion, the patency of your fallopian tubes should be assessed if you are unsuccessfully trying to conceive for a year or more.
Please consult a reputed Infertility Specialist in your city ( few good names are Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in your city ), so that one cycle of follicular study also can be undertaken.
You should also be investigated for your earlier missed abortion.
Ideally, the tissue of the previous abortion should have been sent for genetic analysis.
You should be screened for hormonal insufficiency, certain infections, uterine abnormalities, autoimmune conditions etc, which can lead to a missed abortion.
Without evaluation of these, it is irrational to proceed with fertility treatment for another child.
Kindly take folic acid supplements also .
Maintain a healthy, fit lifetsyle with regular exercise, a nutritious diet and a healthy BMI.

Please take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Having irregular period. How to calculate ovulation date? 9 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor for resolving my queries. I will take care and follow your suggestion.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thank you for your appreciation.
Am happy to have been able to assist you.
Kindly close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.