Trouble with rectal bleeding, bright red stool that clears in few days. How can I treat it?

I am a 28 year old male, 5'9", 140 lbs. I've had occasional trouble with rectal bleeding (a bright red stool) that flares up about once every three months. The stool is bright red and often clears up within days. Tonight, I had an especially hard stool and I strained heavily to pass it and now I am feeling pain on the right side of my anus. What is going on and how can I treat it?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 49 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have Pain during bowel movements?
2.) Do you have Itching or irritation around the anus?
3.) Do you feel a lump near your anus, which is sensitive or painful?

Your history suggests you have either:

1.) Anal Fissure, which is a small tear in the skin that lines the anus.
2.) Hemorrhoids, which are swollen and inflamed veins in your anus and lower rectum.

The exact diagnosis can be confirmed by per rectal examination / colonoscopy performed by your primary doctor.

In meantime, you might find the following advice useful in relieving your symptoms:
•     You may perform sitz bath using warm water several times a day at home.
•     Avoid straining during bowel movements.
•     Avoid hot and spicy foods.
•     Eat healthy nutritious and fiber XXXXXXX balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
•     Drink plenty of water.
•     Exercise regularly and maintain healthy weight.
•     Keep the anal area clean.
•     Apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus which will relieve swelling.
•     Regular physical exercises.
•     If you persist to have hard stools/constipation, then over the counter laxatives can be used for a few days to prevent worsening of symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Trouble with rectal bleeding, bright red stool that clears in few days. How can I treat it? 10 hours later
I've started to feel pain during bowel movements to the point that I can't make them. I've started taking fiber and drinking fluids in an effort to hopefully have a movement soon. The area does not itch, but I feel an occasional stinging sensation. No, I don't feel a lump.

About how soon would this issue clear up?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 10 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Your follow up history suggests you have a Anal Fissure. This is not a serious issue , as with simple lifestyle modifications which I have mentioned earlier along with medicines the fissure should heal with your symptoms subsiding gradually. Therapy usually involves a high fiber diet, stool softeners and laxatives. Stool softeners like Colace can be taken. Take 1 tablet daily for 1-3 days.
The healing and relief of symptoms should take atleast 2 weeks.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.