Toe swollen and red. Now spreading up to foot. Could this be celluliious?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I noticed that, tonight, my left big toe is very swollen and red. I thought my shoes might have been tight or it was like gout. But my right toe is fine and i thought it might be spreading up my foot. I had heard about celluliious, so that concerned me. My feet have been more swollen and numb lately. I thought it was just going back to work and being on my feet more. Anyway, I don't know if I should be concerned or not.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Classical presentation of Acute Gout.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

All the symptoms in your description typically suggest the possibility of Acute gout unless proved otherwise.

Cellulitis may also present with a similar picture but the swelling will be more diffuse affecting entire foot along with leg. Also, the pain will be more widespread and will not be confined to specific areas (left big toe in your case). There will be associated rise of body temparature (fever). There should also be some history of injury or prick to develop cellulitis except in Diabetic patients where it may develop spontaneously.

The diagnosis of gout can be confirmed by performing Serum uric acid levels, examination of joint fluid. Xrays of the involved joints will show up any changes,if present.

So, I suggest you to approach an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed clinical evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further