Toddler undergone throat swab test. Found occasional epithelial cells, gram positive cocci. Serious?

Question
in throat swab test of my 8 month old baby the gram stain column show that 3-5 pus cells,occasional epithelial cells and gram positive cocci were seen. and also in the culture column it noted Alpha haemolytic streptococcus viridans group (normal flora) grown in culture.Also in the urine test there is protin+ present. What does these mean and is it something serious
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

They are normal flora of the oral cavity. So you need not worry regarding that.
There are lot of bacterial living along with us and can be cultured when a swab is taken.

Urine protein 1+ indicates a normal report. There is nothing to worry regarding this either.

So you need not worry about those reports.

Hope I answered your query. Please ask further queries as required.

Follow-up: Toddler undergone throat swab test. Found occasional epithelial cells, gram positive cocci. Serious? 13 hours later
Sir,

Thank you for your kind reply,

Since my son is taking antibiotics to treat the mentioned infection will it have any effect on his health in the long run.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Do not worry.
Antibiotics will not have any long term side effects.

Probiotics may be given at the end of the treatment to restore the gut flora.

Hope this helps.