Tiredness, weakness, heaviness in legs, stiff joints, blurred vision, soft and yellow feces, tingling arms. Scared

I have been dealing with general malaise and mono-like symptoms for a long time. I tested positive for mono for the last two years until about a month ago, but I still feel bad and it is affecting my quality of life. I regularly feel tired, weak, my legs often feel heavy when walking, I have been sweating more than normal, I have been having muscle spasms and random pain throughout my body, my joints seem more stiff, I get dizzy or have blurred vision regularly, the look of my feces has changed to looking like a softer yellow feces (and I used to have more solid darker feces), I often feel sort of a tremoring or shaky feeling in my core and it radiates throughout my body. I often have jaw/neck pain on the left side of my jaw, and I have seen the dentist and my primary doctor about all of these things. Sometimes my arms feel a little tingly and strange. Also, I feel naseous occasionally. I am a teacher and about to start back to school and I am worried because feeling the way I do, I don't feel like I will be able to keep up with my students. I am scared something is wrong with me, even though the labs my doctor has run have come back normal. I just want to know what these symtpoms mean and how to treat them.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

One possibility is chronic Epstein Barr Virus infection, since you say you have been tested for mono and it was positive for almost two years. Unfortunately, there is no definite treatment for this condition.

Other possibilities with the symptoms you have mentioned above are anaemia, thyroid disorders, electrolyte abnormalities, calcium defeciency, Vitamin B12 defeciency, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome etc. Did your investigations / labs include Hemoglobin, TSH/Thyroid function test, Vit B12 levels, Calcium levels, blood sugar levels, serum electrolytes?

If all the tests are normal, and still you are experiencing symptoms, you might need to take a small course of antidepressants under the guidance of your treating physician.

I would suggest you get plenty of rest. Rehydrate yourself with plenty of fluids; drink at least 8- 10 glasses of water a day. Eat well balanced meals.

I know it is diffficult to exercise when you are fatigued.Try to exercise within your limits; if you can. I know it is diffficult to exercise when you are fatigued.

Definitely sign up for yoga/relaxation classes which might help relieve most of your symptoms. The results will take time. However, in the long run it will help in your overall well being.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

In case you do not have any further questions, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan