Tightness in throat, have asthma

tight throat with asthmai have a real tight throat and i have asthma
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1.Information regarding your age, gender, duration of symptoms and any past medical history other than asthma if present would have helped.

2. Tight throat in asthma could be due to:
a. Increased severity of asthma: If your peak flow meter reading has gone down and you have increased breathlessness & may be wheezing sounds with the tight throat. In this case you need to step up your treatment or in simple words your inhaler doses needs to be increased along with addition of other drugs if required.
b. Associated secondary upper respiratory infection: in this scenario you will be having symptoms of fever, associated cold and difficulty in swallowing food. Some time glands beneath the jaw are also felt. In this scenario a proper course of antibiotics (7 to 10 days) with increase in asthma medication doses and nasal spray may be required.

3. Thus I suggest that you please visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself clinically evaluated both for your asthma and tightness in the throat. Also get your asthma management properly titrated by a pulmonologist. Pulmonary function tests, blood counts, chest xray are certain basic investigations required. Also home peak flow monitoring should be done by you. Yearly flu shots and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccinations will certainly help decrease such episodes.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra