Thin skin around the eyes, forehead, wrinkled feet, hands and palms. White spots on the rigid nails. Advise?

hi my son is 14 he has thin skin around his eyes and forehead also he has wrinkled feet and hand and palms, he alsoo has riged nails with white spots what might be wrong with him
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have mentioned that your son has white spots on nails and ridged nails. One of the common causes will be malnutrition or malabsorption.

It could most probably be Leukonychia. Many vitamin deficiencies cause ridges on fingernails, as the body's production of the materials in the nail is interrupted.

Eating a healthier diet and supplementing with vitamins can help clear up the ridges; for especially strong, healthy nails you can give him gelatin supplement, which will also benefit his hair.

If modification in diet do not resolve the issue, then another cause of ridges on fingernails is lack of moisture. If nails are ridged or cracked, massaging the nails or cuticles with a moisturizing cream or oil can be very beneficial, as can increasing the amount of water you drink.

Dramatic changes in nail structure can indicate respiratory or circulatory problems, along with autoimmune disease, and in some cases nails change color or develop ridges when the body is exposed to a toxin such as arsenic. Some skin conditions like psoriasis are also linked with changes like ridges on fingernails, and pitting of the nail.

He also has wrinkled skin around his eyes, forehead, hand and palms. It is quite possible that your son might be having mild Eczema since this can manifest itself simply as dry skin. It tends to be worse during the winter months because with centrally heated houses and wall-to-wall carpets in most homes.

Creams made with chamomile, witch XXXXXXX and licorice are sometimes used to treat eczema. Gamolenic acid, also known as evening primrose oil, is another potential treatment for eczema. I would suggest you consult Dermatologist for confirmation of diagnosis, as the treatment can be initiated only after examination.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.