Taking vitex to shrink uterine fibroids. How will I know they are shrinking?

Question
I am taking vitex to shrink uterine fibroids. Is there a discharge or how do I know they are shrinking
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Vitex is a herbal drug and there are not many studies confirmed its use to shrink fibroids.

Since you believe in using them I do not stop you from that. You should keep getting the Ultrasound scan of the Uterus once every three months. The sonologist can exactly locate the size and shape of the fibroids. Hence get a scan now to locate the size and shape. Please remember to visit the same centre each time with your past report so that a easy comparision can be done.

I do not think there is a way you will know their shrinkage by yourself.

It is believed that will take atleast 10-12 months of continuous use of vitex, and there will be no discharge. you just consult a gynaecologist after three months and get an USG done for confirmation. The other reports also say that vitex works slowly to normalize the body. Maximum benefits are often achieved after 6-12 cycles with vitex.

Please note that fibroids naturally shrink after 50 yrs of age as women slowly go into non oestrogen state.

Let me know if you have further queries.