Taking synthroid for hypothyroid disorder. Feeling tired during period. Any suggestion?

Mar 2013
Hi, Just before or during my period I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. As a clinical social worker it is not good for me to sleep while my clients are talking. I eat a healthy vegetarian diet, careful to eat protein. I take a food based iron tablet and B complex. I run approx 5 miles/day 5 days a week. I am social and manage my work/personal life boundary relatively well. Also, I take synthroid for hypothyroid disorder. This tiredness is lasting for more days and getting harder to hide recently. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
As you are 45 , I guess you might be facing perimenopausal symptoms, and extreme fatigue and tiredness is a common manifestation, for this you could see a specialist, and get your hormonal assays done to confirm if indeed this is so.
Ensure ATLEAST 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night, and if possible, a nap in the daytime too.
Another common reason is erratic meals, with high sugar and calorie content meals at a time, which leave you feeling drained out and tired once the glucose rush is gone. Caffeine also has a similar effect.
As you must be well aware, anemia is an obvious reason, so make sure you get your recent blood work done.
Apart from iron and B complex, calcium and vitamin D deficiency are commonly implicated in fatigue and general ill health, specially in this age group. Make sure you get yourself tested and take supplements accordingly. Certain electrolyte imbalances, eg,potassium , also lead to tiredness.
I hope your recent thyroid function is well under control, as latent thyroid disorders are notorious for being responsible for the problems you describe.
Diabetes also deserves an evaluation.
Subclinical depression or psychological ailments present as generalised unexplained fatigue.

Apart from running, try some forms of yoga / relaxation techniques / meditation, and consult a specialist to rule out the above conditions.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.