Taking neimercazole for thyroid problem. Found positive for pregnancy. What to do?

Jan 2013

Hello doctor,

I am XXXXXXX , age:23, i am having Thyroid, i am having Neimercazole 5 MG/twice per day, for my Thyroid treatment as per one of my doctor consultation, and this month my pregnancy is confirmed and i remember that my doctor mentioned one of our personal communication to stop the Neimercazole tablet, please let me know what should i have to take to compensate Neimercazole 5 MG/twice per day, I have already stopped using Neimercazole since 3 days.
Please let me know what tablet should i needed to take now?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 37 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms and defined medication, it can be concluded that you are suffering from Thyrotoxicosis.
Neomercazole contains Carbimazole which can cross placenta.
Few studies mentioned that carbimazole should not be given during pregnancy as it may cause skin related anomalies in developing fetus.
While few studies suggest there is no harm in continue carbimazole and it should be stopped during 36-37 weeks of pregnancy.

With titration between risk and benefits of Carbimazole, its better to avoid this drug during pregnancy.
Ptopylthiouracil is the recommended medicine for thyrotoxicosis during pregnancy.
Although propylthiouracil is also category D drug but it is preferable over Carbimazole.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for thyroid profile for present status.
You should take propylthiouracil on written prescription.
Dosage depends on current thyroid profile.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava