Taking medicines for hypertension and type 2 diabetes. Side effect of prolonged use of sildenefil?

Good

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have a stent put in my heart,i take medicines for hypertension & type 2 diabetes alongwith lipicure 5 and clopidgrel 75 mg.I have been taking sildenifil 25 mg weekly before sex and it works..I am not on sorbitrate or nitroglycerine etc.I take prolomet 50 XL once,cardace-5 twice,amlopress 5mg twice.
Any problem with the use of sildenefil over a long periodof time?I am aged 62.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Sildenefil is known to cause load on the heart. There is no exact cut off with regards the XXXXXXX dose. But you need to be careful amidst being hypertensive and diabetic with a cardiac intervention having already been done.
I would suggest continous cardiac surveillance while using the drug.
I hope this answers your querry.

Follow-up: Taking medicines for hypertension and type 2 diabetes. Side effect of prolonged use of sildenefil? 43 hours later
Thanks.I am told this helps in BP reduction also.I have been taking this for last 5 years and am concerned if it causes any damage on prolonged use.My frequency of taking sidenefil 25 mg is once a week only.Yes,i go thru annual health check programs regularly.What do you mean by increase in load on heart?Kindly elaborate more on the use of this.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later
thanks for writing back.
The drug can increase the incidence of a heart attack or a arrhythmia especially in those with past history of heart disease. But since you are taking it only once a week the chance of this complication is very less. The drug is taken for pulmonary hypertension and not for essential hypertension.
It is advisable to use it under the supervision of a cardiologist to be on the safer side.
T hope this answers your querry.