Taking lactulose and putting miralax in coffee to regulate bowel movement. Having thin and long stools. Advise?

Jun 2015

I have been taking Lactulose morning and evening and also putting Miralax in my coffee to try to regulate my bowel movements. Recently I have had everything from a blow out bowel movement and also thin, long stools.
Any advice?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition

Detailed Answer:

Regarding the complaints of irregular bowel movement, kindly let us know about the following:

1. Any history of pathology/sub acute obstruction in the Gastrointestinal tract?
2. Functional cause- due to decreased/increased gastric motility?
3. History of Irritable bowel syndrome? (it can be associated with both constipation & diarrhea associated with abdominal pain)
4. Prolonged use of certain medications like opioid analgesics, antacids, etc?
5. Hormonal & Metabolic causes like Hypo/Hyperthyroidism, etc?
You have mentioned about history of Diabetes & if the glycemic status is not properly controlled, it can cause bowel irregularity.
6. Any recent incidence of Stress or sedentary life style?

If your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to Dietary causes (like less consumption of fiber XXXXXXX foods) & Inadequate hydration state of the body (due to less fluid intake).

Though symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of Laxatives, their regular use is not advised to prevent dependency & other unwanted side effects.
However, as long as the underlying cause is not treated, symptoms will keep recurring.

If you still find difficulty, kindly consult a Gastroenterologist & get a proper physical examination done.
Investigations like complete blood count, Ultrasound scan of abdomen, Colonoscopy & contrast studies will be helpful to rule out any pathological cause for your symptoms.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Till then, maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status,exercise regularly and avoid stress.

Wishing you a good health.