Taking codiene phosphate after breaking humerus. Noticed mucous in bowel movements. What to do?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have been taking codiene phosphate after breaking my humerus ( and having it plated) months ago. Now some colour and mucous is showing up in my bowel motions (they are regular) I am 82 years old. Do you think the codiene could be the cause of the mucous (my age). and should I stop taking it? Would a tabletted colon cleanser be a help? Thanking you, MG
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Maam,

Codiene can lead to constipation, which indirectly can lead to the altered colour and mucous in your bowel. My sincere advise to you would be to discontinue codiene as soon as possible as it can also lead to addiction and dependency. Hopefully your complaints will subside after stopping codiene. A tabletted colon cleanser would only be of help if you are having a lot of constipation.

Hope you recover soon.