Taking antibiotic for sore throat. Started coughing with mucus. Could this be HIV symptoms?

I had a sore throat since the last two days which resolved itself after I took antibiotics. I have some coughing with mucus and slight heaviness in the chest which has improved after a day's rest. I have a history of allergic bronchitis/eosinophilia. I am worried if I may have HIV as this symptom has arrived four weeks after I had protected sex with someone.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

As you had protected intercourse there is very little possibility of HIV transmission.

Also HIV will not manifest so early.

Sore throat and cough would not recover so quickly if you had underlying HIV.

Cough in HIV is non responding to usual medications.

Sero conversion illness is the one which occurs after 4 weeks of getting HIV infection.

It is characterized by
Decreased appetite
Muscle stiffness or aching
Sore throat
Swollen lymph glands
Ulcers of the mouth and esophagus

As you dont have any of these it is unlikely that you have HIV.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification.Do let me know.