Taking Cozaar. Developed side effects. Have confusion and convulsions. Having cramps, weakness and heaviness in legs. Suggest medication?

Question
I HAVE BEEN TAKING COZAAR FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,FOR H.P.,STARTED TO DEVELOPED SEVERAL SIDE EFFECTS FROM IT,COFUSION,CONVULSIONS,MUSCLE PAIN OR CRAMPS,WEAKNESS OR HEAVINESS OF LEGS,TROUBLE SLEEPING PSYCHIATIC. PHYSICAN SUGGESTED I GET AN APPT., WITH NEOU., SHOULD I JUST STOP TAKING THIS MEDICINE?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be discontinued under care of doctor

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cozaar belongs to the family of drugs called ARBs. Like all medications there are potential side effects. It can be associated with headache, fatigue, insomina, dizziness, back or leg pain (in 1 out of 100 users).

It is not known be be associated with confusion, psychiatric symptoms or convulsion though persons may experience medication differently.

You can consider discontinuing the medication to see if your symptoms abate but this should be done with your doctor's knowledge because your blood pressure would increase once the medication is discontinued.
Your doctor would add another anti hypertensive to cover you.

If your symptoms continue then it is unlikely that the medication was causing your symptoms and you should consider visiting a neurologist as suggested by your doctor.

At this visit you would have blood investigations done to determine if any electrolyte abnormalities are contributing to your symptoms.
In addition imaging such as a CT brain may be suggested.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions