Taking Cialis in order to control BPH and ED. What is the treatment for maintaining an erection?

Urologist
Question
I am on daily regimen of 5mg Cialis in order to control BPH and ED. At first I responded well with hard erections, but 1 year later, I the effect has diminished and I cannot maintain an erection for very long. Do I need to take more Cialis a couple of hours prior to the act, or change prescriptions?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Change of prescription might help

Detailed Answer:
I am not aware of exactly what is the status of BPH, but Cialis works only moderately well for prostate symptoms, and very well for ED. If you are not finding a once daily regimen of Cialis 5mg useful, you can avoid the daily dosage and instead take it as an on-demand basis, i.e as and when you plan to have sexual relation. You can go up to 10 mg, probably twice or thrice a week, (and if BPH is indeed a problem, start a medicine like Flomax exclusively for prostate symptoms) and it is quite likely that you will find better erections than earlier.
The other alternative is to continue taking 5 mg Cialis as earlier, and take an additional dosage of 5 mg as and when required, approximately 30-45 minutes before you plan to have relations with your partner. Either way, before increasing the dose of Cialis, I would prefer that a physician or cardiologist pronounces that your cardiac condition is stable to handle the extra dosage.
I also sincerely suggest that you discuss with your physician or cardiologist regarding your anti-hypertension prescription as both Atenolol and Amlodipine can interfere with erections. He can instead place you on medications belonging to a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors or ARBs if he feels they are good for your BP, as they do not interfere with erections like your current medications do.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Regards.