Taking Betrinac. Had cancerous kidney. Tablet could possibly help memory loss?

Can my husband take the B vitamin supplement Betrinac. He is 75 yrs old and had a cancerous kidney removed 6 years ago and a pacemaker fitted 2 yrs ago. We have heard that the tablet could possibly help memory loss. Is this true?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, that is true. B12 can prevent memory loss which follows B12 deficiency. In old age its absorption is decreased and it is also better to take a blood test several months after taking it to see if oral tablets are absorbed enough. Otherwise, he should take it as monthly injections.
If B12 level in his blood is not low, he can also take red meat and eggs as a regular base to take enough B12.
However, it does not have any harm for the body and he can take them regularly. Let me know if you have any other question. I wish you and him a good health.