Taking BP medicine, diovan. Why do I have heart racing, light headedness, ringing in ears. Am I okay?

I take blood pressure medicine Diovan and have for at least 5 years. Recently I am getting a whooshing heartbeat sound, some deminished hearing and lightheadedness upon standing, bending over and stretching my arms above my head, more so upon going from a sitting position to standing .Not so when going from a lying down position My blood pressure has been fine also. I have occasional ringing in my ears. both left and right and when there is no background noise I hear a high pitch sound in my head. Any answers please???
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can think of three conditions which can cause lightheadedness when changing the position and these are:

1)     BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is caused by problems in the inner ear. Its symptoms are repeated episodes of positional vertigo which is a spinning sensation caused by changes in the position of the head. It can also cause diminished hearing and tinnitus.

2)     The second possibility is of Meniere’s disease in which lightheadedness is also accompanied with hearing loss, roaring in ears and tinnitus or loud ringing noises in both the ears.

3)     The third possibility is of anxiety and stress or cervical spine problems which can be caused by wrong ways of sitting like inappropriate position while using the computer.

My suggestion would be to get an ENT examination done from an ENT specialist to rule out BPPV and Meniere’s disease and get an x-ray cervical spine done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.