Taking ABilfy for depression. Gained weight. Suggest other drug for depression?

I already ask this but no one replied

I take ABilfy to help with my depression. I have gained 35 IBS in two years. Is there another similar drug that doesn't cause weight gain.

Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 days later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Weight gain can occur as a result of different medications. Some increase appetite, some slow metabolism or result in decrease activity, some cause fluid retention.

Abilify is associated with weight gain in few of the adults who use it, about 2%.
It actually has a lower likelihood to cause weight gain than other medications in its class with patients switching from their medications to abilify when their original medications cause them to put on weight.

Unfortunately similar medications may cause weight gain as well.

To help with the weight loss,which can be very difficult you can try the following: (1) decrease your use of carbohydrates- carbohydrates cause the body to release insulin. In addition to reducing blood sugar, insulin also causes the body to store fat. If you can reduce your carb use, it would decrease insulin secretion and therefore fat in the body would break down.

This would involve reducing or eliminating the use of sodas, juices and using water instead. Use at least 8 glasses of water a day.
It also means reducing to breakfast cereals/rice/pasta/potatoes and other high carb vegetables/ some fruits which are sweet/flour products

It allows you to use as much protein as your wish- meat, fish, tofu, beans, eggs, legumes, milk, some cheeses, nuts such as almond and macedemia

The protein would keep you full.
Eat every 2 to 3 hrs, don't wait till you are hungry because then you will over eat
Use 1 to 2 cups of salads a day of leafy veg
Use 1 to 2 cups of vegetables a day-such as broccoli, cauliflower, XXXXXXX ,beans, asparagus,cabbage, okra, zuchinni, brussel sprouts, cumcumber

If you can obtain a pedometer and count steps it may help. 100 calories is burnt in 2500 steps. The aim is at least 7500 a day, start slow and increase weekly at your pace.

You may want to consider consulting a bariatrician ( weight loss doctor ) for advice.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions