Taken norethisterone after periods started, had lighter bleed. Would I have ovulated as per normal cycle?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi i came on my period on 28th XXXXXXX and started taking norithisterone to stop it on the 29th, i took 3 per 5mg tablets a day until 2nd july. i then had a lighter bleed compared to normal on the 4th july for 3-4 days. would i have ovulated as normal from the 28th cycle or would my day 1 have been 4th july
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 35 minutes later
hi,

as you took the tablet at the time of your menstruation, if you are having regular periods, then your ovulation might have completed in the middle of the cycle as usual.
actually your first day of menstruation should be 28th XXXXXXX as you started bleeding but as you interfered with menstrual flow and stopped with tablet, now you can consider your first day as 4th July.

after taking these tablets some irregularities in menstruation like delay in onset of next cycle etc are common.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Taken norethisterone after periods started, had lighter bleed. Would I have ovulated as per normal cycle? 1 hour later
ok thank you, I have had a positive pregnancy test and just wasnt sure of how many weeks i would be. I tested positive on thursday 2 nd Aug but this was my first test so i dont know if it would have been positive before that

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later
hi,

as you had periods on 4th July, it is possible that you might have ovulated after that and fertilization occurred during that period.
according to your history the gestational age could be around 5 weeks.
you can go for ultrasound once preferably trans vaginal which can detect the gestational age.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.