Taken cortisone shot for knee pain. Get a Baker's cyst behind knees sometimes. How safe is it to go for a pilgrimage by walk?

there is a pilgrimage walk I would like to do. It's 20 miles one day and 15 the next day. I am 73 and am worried about my knees. Three years ago I had a cortisone shot in my right knee and the pain never came back. 1-1/2 years ago I had a cortisone shot in my left knee and the pain never came back. Now about 2 or 3 times a year I get a Baker's cyst behind one of my knees that lasts for a day or two. I can easily walk five miles and would build up my endurance through training. I am nervous that I might do much damage to my knees if I attempt this walk, but I really really want to do it. What do you think?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can do it

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cortisone injections are used to treat any inflammatory conditions of the joints, tendons or bursae.

If you did not have a recurrence of the joint discomfort that required the injection then it is not likely that the joint pain was related to arthritis because this would have recurred.

It may have been related to the bursae or tendons in the knee joints.

I think you can attempt the walk once there are no other health issues.

There are some things that you can do to reduce the chance of any injury. This would include: (1) knee strengthening exercises - there are exercises that can be done to increase the strength of the muscles that support the knees. If these muscles are strong then there is less chance of injury

(2) obtain knee braces- knee braces would provide support

(3)wear shoes with good arch supports that are comfortable

(4) if possible take breaks during the course of the walk

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions