Taken Prostap and Tibilone for fibroid operation. Had unprotected sex. Can I get pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
Am on prostap 3.75 for 2 months and tibilone to have a fibroid operation in 2 weeks time. I had unprotected sex last night . Can I get pregnant ? I have not had a period for 2 months due to the prostap for fibroid shrinkage . Should I get the morning after pill ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

I have read your problem and I understand your concerns.

Prostap injection contains the active ingredient leuprorelin acetate, which is a type of medicine known as a gonadotropin agonist. It acts on the pituitary gland in the brain.

This hormone is known to cause pituitary suppression on prolonged usage as in your case and inhibits ovulation. Hence it also acts as a contraceptive since you are taking it for 2 months. Therefore you will not get pregnant while on these injections. Therefore there is no need to take morning after pills.

I reassure you that you will not get pregnant while on these injections and hence there is no need of morning after pills in your case.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer & close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol