Swollen foot that is spreading, chills. What can it be? What is the treatment?

sir my father suffering from chills in hand which cause him to shake and little bit swollen left foot which start from fingertips and leading towards lower limbs what the disease can be and what will be the treatment for that

sir i red about elephantiasis can it be so am very afraid of it
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern.

There are 2 issues at present.

1. Chills in hand: This could be some vitamin deficiency or some neurological problem like Parkinson disease. Some routine weakness even can lead to this.

2. Swelling in left foot. This could be due to some skin infection or some circulation problems in veins of foot.

Just by having some swelling in toe, one can not label it as elephantiasis.

I would advise that you please do not ignore this condition of leg. Please visit your family doctor/physician at the earliest and get him examined.

In case of infection in that area, he will need proper treatment and some investigation like blood counts, blood sugar, ultrasound etc.

Your doctor will also look for shivering in hands and can help you with that also.

Please visit the doctor early.

I hope this helps

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing him speedy recovery