What to do if have small brown and black worms in stool?

General Surgeon
Question
Small brown or black worms in toilet. About 3/8 in. long. No severe symptoms yet. Suspect contaminated vegetables eaten. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stool test is necessary. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It is hard to tell either you have parasites or not from the point of this service. And its even harder to tell what kind of parasite you do have. That is why, the best you can do to get proper diagnose is to have stool test for parasites done. 3 different samples of the stool might be necessary to diagnose what kind of parasite you have. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: What to do if have small brown and black worms in stool? 15 minutes later
Worms have been present for more than a week. These are present in feces. What if I am able to recover the worms? Would that help? I don't want to go three times to a doctor. T

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: It is not necessary to recover worms. We do not know what you are dealing with and if there is a risk of transmission to other person. It is not about 3 single doctors visits. It is a one visit. You may be asked to collect samples from 3 consecutive stools. However if the worms are clearly visible, single stool sample might be enough. Regards.

Follow-up: What to do if have small brown and black worms in stool? 5 days later
What are the chances that there is no infestation? These things appear and are still present with a sluggish toilet if I look again and I have. They aren?t pinworms they don?t fit the description.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! I have never mentioned that you have pinworms. Especially that you have no symptoms. I dont really know how else can I help you. Stool test is really extremely necessary to diagnose the problem and to start proper treatment. Even If I will try to guess which worm you have (ascariosis is the most common) still stool test is necessary. So please do not wait any longer and get this test. You wont avoid this test. Regards.