Swollen eye, allergy medicines not helping, left eye and forehead had a lump, itchy lumps on head

Hello, my son, who is 18, good health and active. He began having a swollen eye when waking up. allergy medicines dont seem to help. Then it left the eye area and his forehead had a lump. Now today he had small "lumps" in his head that itch and hurt when pressed on.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 2 hours later

As your query doesn't give me complete information, I would like to know a few things:
1) When did it start?
2) Did he have any injury to the forehead/face in the recent past?
3) what is the exact location of small lumps? Is it on his forehead or scalp or face?
4) can you state the degree of pain within 1-10 where 1 is the least and 10 is highest.
5) Is there any discharge present?
6) Are those small lumps inflamed?
7) Can you state the approx size of those lumps?
8) Does he suffer from any other diagnosed medical conditions?
9) What did the doctor advise you when you visited him/her for initial swelling?

Presentation of swollen eye after waking up is usually due to renal abnormality. It could be autoimmune or bacterial infections. This is the reason why doctor had prescribed prednisolone initially. Anti allergic medications do not help in this condition.

The lump in the forehead could be a coincidence and not relating to the initial edema of the periorbital region (area around the eye). Small lumps that itch and tender usually might be due to bacterial infection of the hair follicles or the sweat glands. So,the advise depends after knowing the complete details.

In anticipation of your reply.

Follow-up: Swollen eye, allergy medicines not helping, left eye and forehead had a lump, itchy lumps on head 26 minutes later
Thank You Dr. Bhandari,

To answer your questions, There was no injury and it started about a month ago with a swollen lip after waking up. I thought it was something he was allergic to and ate. then a few days later, the eye swelling. The pain is very minimal and only hurts when pushing on it. they are not very big lumps and not noticeable but can be felt. There is not discharge at all and there are no visible hair follicles inflamed. Initially, when he went to the doctor, she had no idea what it was and said he apparently had a allergic reaction to something. The lumps are on the scalp.

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 11 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the information,

Well the history you presented do give strong clues into the possibility of it being an allergic reaction.May be the anti-allergic medication you used are of low efficacy.

I would still ask you to rule out renal involvement by getting renal function test and also get AEC ( Absolute eosinophil count ) which will be raised in allergic reactions.Both the tests will give us insights into the cause.

Meanwhile i would ask you to try better anti-allergic medications like Levocetrizine or Montelukast-levocetrizine combination.

Hope this helps you,

Wish him good health.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 7 hours later
Kindly post follow up queries if you have any, I am here to help you.