Switched from cyclogst to duphaston. Started getting severe stomach pain. Side effect?

My wife just took duphaston for the first time and she is in severe pain she was taking cyclogst, and decided today to switch to duphaston. But the minute she took duphaston she started screaming from pain.....
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 39 minutes later

Duphaston tablets contain the active ingredient dydrogesterone, which is a progesterone derivative.This helps maintain a healthy womb lining for the ongoing pregnancy.

Severe stomach pain is one of the side effect of Duphaston.
I recommend you to stop taking drug immediately.
Get a transvaginal ultrasonography to ensure fetus is fine.
Please consult your Gynecologist immediately for pain relief.

As the side effect is acute and for short time, nothing to worry. Once Duphaston is stopped, everything will be fine.

Hope it helps.
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Switched from cyclogst to duphaston. Started getting severe stomach pain. Side effect? 3 minutes later
Ok, thank you for your quick reply, she will continue with cyclogst. Is there any possible harm for the baby from that?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
I appreciate your prompt response.
Since pain abdomen is acute and not associated with bleeding per vagina, there is no possible harm to the fetus.
To be more surer, i recommend you to get a transvaginal ultrasonography done.

My good wishes.
Dr Nilofer