Swellon legs, breathlessness. Tests normal. Diagosed filarial lymphedema. Is this curable?

Hi Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX My husband is not feeling well. he is 31 years old and he is having swelling in both legs (foot) without any pain and all the tests are normal (Sugar, BP, Urea and Vascular scan-Venous doppler scan). Doctor's said that it was filarial lymphedema. and also he is having breathing problem. even he is not able to sleep properly. and he is having pain in his upper stomach part feeling like something hard in his stomach. please advice whether its curable.what type of physician should I have to contact for this type of issues.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern for your husband.

It is good that the reports are normal; still I feel that something is missing. Difficulty in breathing is not explained by oedema due to filariasis.

The swelling in foot can be due to filarial lymph oedema, in case he has history of filariasis.

I think you please consult a cardiologist and get him properly examined. He may require some more investigations like cardiogram,2 D Echo etc.after examination .

It is difficult to have any clue about the problem without examining him.

Please do not ignore this and take him to a center where more specialties are available under one roof.

I think after review by cardiologist things should become clear.

Do not worry, things treated in time always respond better.

I hope this helps.

Write again if you have some more concerns.

Please accept the answer in case you do not have further queries.