Swallowed a chicken bone and felt stuck in throat. X-ray showed nothing. Prescribed antacid, having abdominal pain

Hi my wife swallowed a chicken bone a week ago. Immediately she felt something stuck on her throat and an hour or so later she threw up. Next day I took her to the ER who did an x-ray, which didn't show anything stuck.He just prescriped an antacid. Now (a week after she swallowed the chicken bone) she is still on constant nausea,burping and have abdominal pain.What does this look like? Please help.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 42 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is possible that with the swallowing of the chicken bone she suffered some injury to the inside of her digestive tract. If this is the case it will take a few days for additional healing.

My one concern at this time is that it is possible that the chicken bone has become lodged or stuck in part of her gastrointestinal tract. Since she is having these persistent symptoms I think would be reasonable for you to see her primary care doctor and possibly obtain a gastroenterology consultation. A gastroenterologist might consider using a small scope and camera to look inside her gastrointestinal tract to see if there is any evidence of the bone remaining. Sometimes if the bone is stuck it can be removed with this scope.

Again I really think that she should see her doctor for a good physical examination and consultation.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga