Suggest treatment for panic disorder with agoraphobia

Nov 2013

So here's my situation: I'm a recent homebound agoraphobic, since last october. I was driving on the freeway on got a huge panic attack and drove back home and haven't left since. I started feeling dizzy/titling sensations whenever I get anxious and especially when I'm around people in the house or its very crowded. It's bugged me or quite some time, but its gotten worse in the last 3 weeks or so. Sometimes it comes as a floating sensation like in an elevator going up and down. I had blood work done in september and everything was normal, as well as a physical by my GP. Now, I do get a panic attacks frequently (usually sometime in the morning) and the anxiety gradually dies down as the day goes on. Not all the time, but thats like a "normal" routine day with anxiety for me. I dont experience any other symptoms with the dizzy sensations (no fever and no vomttiing), besides being fearful and the occasional panic attack. I just need help figuring this out.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Medicines and counselling would help Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms and based on that, the most likely diagnosis in your case is panic disorder with agoraphobia. No investigations are usually required for confirming the diagnosis of panic disorder, as it is based on the symptom profile of the patient. However, thyroid disorder should be excluded and MRI may be done, if there are physical symptoms such as headache, dizziness, blurred vision, numbness, tingling or weakness of limbs. Treatment consists of medications and counselling. Effective medications for treating panic disorder include antidepressants (such as escitalopram), anti-anxiety (clonazepam), beta blockers, etc. Psychotherapy and counselling are also effective. With proper treatment, you would improve well. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for panic disorder with agoraphobia 35 minutes later
I've had blood work done in the past, and my thyroid levels are normal. Blood pressure normal, sugar level normal etc,
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good to note that. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. It is good to note that your blood work, including thyroid profile, was normal. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)