Suggest treatment for my hyperthyroidism using these TSH values

Hi I've had a thyroid XXXX done my tsh is 0.1 and t3 and t4 are normal. Im currently having some issues with racing heart upon any type of minimal movement. Any suggestions??? I am 11 weeks post partum and I had hyperthyroid 3 years ago that cleared after a year of PTU.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid Detailed Answer: You will likely benefit form treating this condition. Before you consider treatment options it will be necessary to diagnose the cause. This entails a thyroid related blood test and a special type of test called 'Radio Active Iodine 123 isotope Uptake and Scan'. However, it may not be feasible if you are nursing your infant, but still check with your local Endocrinologist and Nuclear Medicine physician as to what their advice is on this matter. If the scan is not an option, a test called TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulins) will be of assistance, although the Scan is more definitive in terms of distinguishing between the major types of hyperthyroidism. Essentially the idea is to understand if you have Graves disease or Thyroiditis. The latter often resolves spontaneously within several weeks and only needs symptomatic treatment such as beta blocker medications. The former is a more chronic form, for which you will need to consider the 3 options available for treatment ie medication (PTU not preferred now except in first trimester of pregnancy), Radiation and Surgery. Thyroid conditions can be complex to deal with and it is best you see an Endocrinologist to obtain a correct diagnosis followed by appropriate treatment options.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for my hyperthyroidism using these TSH values 7 minutes later
Ok great! Ive taken beta blockers before and tgey made my blood pressure drop to low. 79/55 so i was told to stop. My free t3 is 3.6 my free t4 is 1.34 with tsh 0.1 my doc wouldnt refer me to endocrinologist but instead a cradiologist and im confused because i hsve no history of heart disease and my cholesteral numbers are normal
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Endocrinologist are the most qualified specialist physicians worldwide to deal with any kind of thyroid problem Beta blockers need to be cautiously dosed with frequent monitoring of pulse and blood pressure by the individual taking them. Further dose adjustments are made based on the results of such monitoring. The key is to arrive at the correct diagnosis. Beta blockers only mitigate symptoms and do not address the cause of the problem.