Suggest treatment for intermittent fever wit elevaded CRP and WBC

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor, My 11 month old baby has intermittent fever since almost a month. Our doctor has suggested CRP and CBP to be performed, and CRP showed 39.7. WBC count is 20,400 and hemoglobin 9.5. Can you please help me understand what these values mean? PS: we live in Hyderabad, India.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tests suggestive of infection and anemia. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Intermittent fever of almost a month duration is a concerning symptom in your 11 month old baby. CRP is high, so it is suggestive of inflammation due to some infection. The WBC count is also elevated and this is suggestive of presence of some bacterial infection. The focus of bacterial infection could be urinary tract infection, lung infection, middle ear infection. And the hemoglobin is low which is suggestive of anemia. And I suggest you to further investigate the child with chest x ray,complete urine examination, urine for culture and sensitivity and blood culture to find out the focus and source of infection so that appropriate treatment can be started as early as possible. And the bacterial infection which is causing fever requires a course of antibiotic. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for further examination, investigations and to advise the appropriate antibiotic treatment. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards. Dr. E. Venakata Ramana, Pediatrician, Hyderabad.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for intermittent fever wit elevaded CRP and WBC 33 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks a lot for your response. Our Pediatrician has suggested monocef 250mg IV for 3 days atleast, and extension based on the response. Could you please give your opinion on this course of treatment? Can you please help me understand what could be the reasons for such bacterial infection in infants? We always use sterilized water, and sterilize every thing that is being used for the kid. We cook separately for the kid, and as far as I can think of, we have never fed the baby with outside food. Your reply will help us in taking necessary precautions in future.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue antibiotic as suggested by the doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. I can understand your concern. Continue the antibiotic as advised by your pediatrician and be in regular follow up till the child completely recovers from the infection and fever. Precautions like using sterilized water and avoiding outside will decrease the frequency of occurrence of infection but can not avoid the infections completely. As the infecting organisms usually present every where in the environment and human body and they are not visible, it is usually not possible to prevent each and every infection. But health precautions will decrease the episodes by lessening the chances of some types of infections. And I appreciate you for taking such health precautions for the kid. Therefore I suggest you to continue the medication as advised and be in close follow up with the doctor. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.