Suggest treatment for infertility when on TB medication

Mar 2013
I have been trying to conceive for 1 year. After failing to do so, I consulted a gynaecologist. I was diagnosed with borderline pcos and my husband's semen report was normal. I was put on follicular monitoring and a fertility drug sephene for 3 months. This was not successful although ovulation was happening. I was then tested for TB PCR through D and C. This came out positive. I am now on TB medication for 6 months. My gynae has asked for an HSG after 3 months of TB medication. I am trying not to panic but I want to know what my chances of conceiving naturally are. My periods are regular without any complications.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Inability to conceive for a year or more is defined as primary infertility. As you have PCOS, there would be erratic ovulation, and siphene would mostly correc that. Sometimes, endometrial tuberculosis can damage the endometrium ( lining of the uterus ) or the fallopian tubes, leading to their blockage. First you should complete the course of TB medication . Then you should ideally go for laparoscopy to check the status of the tubes, coupled with a hysteroscopy to check the uterine cavity. HSG is also alright, but the gold standard is the hysterolaparoscopy where direct vision is provided. Considering your age and PCOS, it is better to go for a more foolproof method instead of a plain HSG. Do not worry, as after TB medication, most women go on to have a successful pregnancy. PCOS complicates the picture slightly, but if you responded favourably to clomiphene, chances of conception are again good. Meanwhile, take regular folic acid supplements and B complex vitamins while on anti TB medication. Also, have your liver functions regularly monitored. Only after the laparoscopy, your exact chances would be known. Even if tubal damage is present, with the aid of newer methods in ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ) , you can definitely conceive. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.